Most people do not expect to be in an auto accident that day, however being prepared is a great way to know what to do if an auto accident does happen to you or a loved one.
- Is everyone OK in your vehicle?
- Are you in a safe place? If not, move your vehicle to safety
- Once you, your passengers, and your vehicle is in a safe place, check on the safety of others
- Call 911 if anyone is injured
- If the other driver is being threatening or shows signs of intoxication – call 911
Call the Police
We have seen enough poor character from the general public that it is worth getting an official Police accident report. The Police will help properly record the events of the accident, give accountability, and remain objective.
Give an accurate record of what happened. If you do not know certain facts do not speculate or guess. If you do not know whether you are injured or not, say that you are unsure, rather than no.
If your vehicle is not drive-able, use the roadside assistance card with your insurance or ask the Police Officer who may assist. In the event the Police will not come out (ex. accident happened on private property) go to #3.
This is not the time to admit fault or to make or get promises. It is the duty and the right of your insurance carrier to defend you according to your legal obligations. This is the time to collect as much information as you can.
- Write down where the accident occurred
- Take photos of the accident, your vehicle, and the other vehicle
- Get other vehicle license plate and VIN
- Get other driver’s full name, address, license number, and phone number
- Get insurance name and policy number of other vehicle
- Get police report number
- If witnesses, get their contact information
- Want a nice form for your glove box? Here is a practical form
Report the Accident
Talk with your insurance company as soon as possible. They will help you know what next steps you need to take to restoring your life. Timely reporting and cooperation are important to help assist all parties in moving forward.
If you do not understand what coverages you have or would like advice on your claim give your insurance agent a call.
Jeremy Hyde | Colligan & Company